High School Lesson 2: How To Roll a Joint
By Jodi Redelinghuys
It’s something we’ve all done: asked a friend or partner to roll a joint for us. Why? It’s fiddly work, we’re perfectionists, we were embarrassed to whip out a Bic pen to help us roll… I know, I’ve been there. But the fact is: learning to roll your own is empowering and it’s really not that hard. Just follow my step-by-step guide and we’ll have you rolling with us faster than you can say ‘ pass me that joint’.
INGREDIENTS FOR SUCCESS
- Your weed - whatever strain works for you
- OPTIONAL: Smoking mix (tobacco, or herbal - we like Holy Roly)
- Rolling papers (I love Laundry Day’s Rollies)
- A flyer/piece of card to make your own gerrick
- A rolling tray like this beaut from Marley Natural
- Scissors or a grinder
CLEAN THE WEED:
- Remove stalks or seeds, then grind or finely grind or chop your weed above your rolling tray to catch any spillage.
READY THE GERRICK:
- Take your filter-strip or a piece of flyer (about 2x5cm).
- Make a small fold (about 10mm) at one edge, then fold backwards and forwards one more time to create a zig-zag shape, keeping the same size.
- Tightly roll the excess around, and trim if needed.
RE-SIZE YOUR ROLLIE:
I prefer thin, more elegant joints and find that normal rolling papers are too big so I make mine smaller - here’s how:
- Rollies come pre-folded in half with a shiny strip on the top edge.
- Reduce size by folding from the bottom edge up to the middle fold - lick the new fold and tear.
- Refold the paper, edge to edge, to create your new middle fold.
PLACE YOUR GERRICK:
- Place the gerrick at the edge of the middle fold on whatever side is your dominant hand side.
LAY THE GREEN:
- Next get a good grip by picking up the rollie and securing the gerrick with your thumb, then using your index finger and middle finger to support the top and bottom edges respectively.
- Using your other hand, slowly sprinkle the weed evenly along the fold, starting closest to the gerrick.
It’s time to shape your joint.
- Rolling the paper together above the weed compacts the bud nicely so, using both hands, pinch together the edges, keeping the gerrick in place.
- Starting at the ‘gerrick” thumb’, roll that set of fingers over one another while keeping the gerrick secure.
- Then start rolling with the other hand and roll all the way towards the tip.
- Once the shape is consistent, roll the bottom side of paper down so that its edge is aligned with the filter edge.
- Use your ‘gerrick thumb’ to tuck the edge of the paper in behind the filter.
- Then use your other hand to move along the length of the joint - from gerrick to tip; tucking the edge of the paper in and tightly wrapping the paper around to the edge of the shiny strip.
LICK & STICK:
- The shiny strip works like an envelope. Lick the inner side of the strip and wrap the excess paper around until it is securely stuck down.
TAP & TWIST:
- Twist the excess at the top and your joint is officially rolled.
- Now lightly tap it (gerrick to surface) on a hard, flat surface (table or phone screen) to gently compact it which will help it smoke easier.
- Light, inhale, exhale, ahhhhh!