A steaming bowl of hot, homemade pasta is the foodie equivalent of a bear hug from your mama.
Make yours even more nurturing with whole cannabis leaves and a burnt sage canna-butter infusion. The ultimate comfort dinner for a chilled night in.
Just remember, you’re using canna-butter in this recipe, so test the strength of this key ingredient so you don’t get glued to the couch for hours!
600g '00' flour (try Molino sul Clitunno from Yuppiechef)
6 large eggs
Olive oil, for pasta
Burnt butter sauce
½ cup (125ml) butter
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/3 cup (80ml) fresh sage leaves
1/3 cup (80ml) walnuts, chopped
A dollop of canna butter - at your preferred strength
Milled pepper, for serving
Parmesan, for serving
- Place sifted flour on a board or in a bowl.
- Whisk eggs until smooth. Make a well in the centre of the flour and add eggs.
- Slowly, using your hand, mix together with the flour as much as possible so it’s not too sticky.
- Flour each hand and begin to knead until a smooth, silky, elastic dough has formed.
- Divide into fourths. Cover with cling film and leave it to rest for at least half an hour in the fridge before rolling and shaping.
- Dust each piece of dough with flour and roll out before beginning to roll through pasta machine.
- Carefully roll into sheets, beginning with the thickest setting and ending with the second-to-last setting.
- Continue rolling until the sheet resembles a long, almost-transparent drape of material. It should look opaque - as if you were looking through a foggy window.
- Place the pasta sheet on a flour-dusted surface and place a cannabis (or any herb you like) leaf on one half of the pasta sheet. Cover the leaves with the other half of the pasta.
- Roll through the final pasta setting before setting aside on the flour-dusted surface.
- Fill a pasta pot with hot water, season with salt, and bring to a rolling boil.
- Carefully boil pasta for 3-4 minutes, or until cooked through, drain in a colander and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Melt butter and garlic in a heavy-based pan until the mixture turns dark caramel in colour; add sage leaves and walnuts for the last few seconds. Whisk through canna-butter.
- Stir pasta through sage canna-butter and top with shaved Parmesan and milled pepper before serving.